Mastering Your Nutrition Habits
Happy February from FX! This month we are focusing on food!
If you have a desire to change your body composition, mastering habits around nutrition are vital. Nutrition is hard. And complicated. Often, it’s not as simple as just eating less to achieve fat loss goals. We are complex beings with a variety of food habits we have developed over years, even decades. Many of us internalized messaging from our childhood, media, fad diets, and body dysmorphic thought patterns. We must first understand what a healthy relationship with food looks like, and create environments to facilitate success with nutrition.
Below you will find a checklist of nutritional habits and behaviors to incorporate consistently in your life. These help build a solid foundation.
– Eating few processed foods
– Eating plenty of nutritious, whole, minimally processed foods
– Meeting basic nutrient needs (macronutrients and micronutrients)
– Staying hydrated
– Rarely drinking sugar-sweetened drinks
– Drinking alcohol rarely or moderately
– Feeling satisfied with their meals
– Eating slowly and mindfully
– Recognizing physical hunger and fullness cues
– Establishing regular eating habits and behaviors
– Eating the appropriate amount for physiological needs and/or goals
– Separating food from feelings
Food and Cooking Skills
– Has basic food preparation skills
– Has basic shopping and food awareness skills (e.g. reading labels)
– Able to ask for what they want and need; can define clear boundaries with others
– Making mostly thoughtful and informed choices
– Able to organize one’s time and schedule reasonably well
– Has good options available and convenient
– Able to think on a continuum from “worse” to “better” in terms of food options
– Growth mindset (“Things are possible with effort and practice”)
– Environment supports goals (Think about Food Radius- all the places we typically encounter food- at home, work, go-to restaurants, school)
– Reasonably managing stress and life demands
We challenge you to reflect on where you shine and where you struggle with these behaviors around food. If you feel like you have plateaued in your fitness journey, or just want to learn more about yourself and nutrition, it is worth diving into your nutritional habits. Please reach out to any of our qualified coaches if you need nutrition guidance. We are here to help you reach your goals!
Set up a Goal Review with one of our FX Coaches Today -> I want to Book a Goal Review
FX Fitness Team
Source: Precision Nutrition Certification Manual